KPC operates a pipeline system for transportation of refined petroleum products from Mombasa to Nairobi and Western Kenya towns of Nakuru, Kisumu and Eldoret working closely with the National Oil Corporation of Kenya. KPC operates 5 storage and distribution depots for conventional petroleum products located in Eldoret. Kenya Pipeline Company operates a pipeline system for Kisumu, Mombasa, Nairobi and Nakuru.
Active monitoring of remote pump stations and controlling SCADA RTU’s is critical for the smooth service delivery for this client. The key challenges faced by the utility service provider included:
- Bandwidth constraints which could not support new packet services such as Video Surveillance.
- Lack of Path/Node protection. Existing linear bus topology meant downtime as a result of fiber cuts (resulted in-repetition) causing extended downtimes affecting key operations.
Following a public tender, KPC picked Amiran communications to implement a next generation network infrastructure that must be able to support the rapidly growing number of packet based services and applications as well as high capacity transport pipes. The solution entailed a Packet Optical Transport infrastructure that combines the simplicity, ubiquity, scalability and low cost of Ethernet and the capacity of DWDM with the classic carrier advantages of TDM (remote OAM, predictable performance, transport reliability and protection).Based on ECI NPT 1200 MPLS-TP switching solution the project was able to exceed the customer expectations. We designed a custom made fit solution that would still be relevant even when need of expansion arises. The outcome of our solution was that KPC has successfully rolled out IP CCTV as the result of the high capacity bandwidth delivered on the new platform providing real time surveillance:
- Configurable QoS facilitated the project team to prioritize mission critical applications when service is switched to the lower capacity STM1 protection link.
- The highly redundant Packet Optical Access Infrastructure has greatly improved Service uptime resulting in enhanced service delivery and immense cost savings.
- Native support of legacy TDM services has enabled the customer to secure their investment while implementing a gradual migration to fully packet infrastructure.
- The NPT platform is future proof supporting upgrade to 320G capacity.